Merry Merry, from our home to yours! In this Dash, the Dalrymples want to share our family eggnog recipe, which we consider a holiday, and quite possibly a national, treasure! Trust me when I say . . . you may never buy eggnog in a carton again. This is a Dalrymple family tradition passed to us from Ed’s mother, Jane. Everyone gets in on the action – making, tasting, and drinking. We will make this recipe many times during the holidays and hope you will, too! Our family wishes yours a blessed holiday season as you . . . open our hearts, open our homes, and give the gift of hospitality.
— DeeDee and Ed, Elizabeth, Carolyn, Eddie, and Putter
1¾ cups sugar*
1 pint+ whiskey
½ pint+ brandy
½ pint+ rum
1 qt whipping cream
1 qt half and half
*we have reduced sugar from original recipe
Separate eggs, with yolks going into large mixing bowl and whites going into bowl of stand mixer.
- Add sugar to yolks and mix with immersion blender.
- Slowly add whiskey, brandy, and rum into yolks and sugar. Mix with immersion blender until creamy. This is where the tasting begins – I can still remember Jane, Ed, and his brother Chris standing around the mixing bowl tasting, adding, and laughing! That tradition continues.
- Add 1 qt whipping cream – not whipped. Mix.
- Whip egg whites in stand mixer until stiff.
- Gently fold whipped egg whites into egg yolk mixture. The mixture will be slightly lumpy.
- Add half and half. Stir.
- You may keep for 2–3 days in refrigerator or freezer. It won’t freeze – too much alcohol!
- Serve in silver or pewter cups or old-fashioned glasses. Top with nutmeg.
Stand mixer or hand mixer, available at large department or kitchen stores.
Immersion blender, available at large department or kitchen stores.
One large (8-10 qt) mixing bowl –this is the type of bowl we use.
One medium mixing bowl – OXO is our favorite.